Tuesday 18 March 2008

Should I or should I not?!

Looks like I’ve got a place, if I want to, for the ING New York marathon. I’d really like to run it but getting a bit concerned that perhaps it’s pushing myself and my body too much to do two marathons within a year, more precisely New York on the 2nd of November this year and then the London one in April next year.

It’s (obviously) really hard work for the body and I guess I’m a bit concerned that my knees won’t be able to handle it. On the other hand I’d probably only run 4 times a week and focus more on building strength, which I can start with as soon as the air cast comes off. I don’t know… In a way I’m thinking that since I’m already in good running shape it’s not going to be so hard to train to the NY one if I keep up my current form (obviously not running the same long runs). I could then allow myself 1 ½ months break (i.e. less running but still keeping up the shape) between the NY marathon and before I need to start training for the London one and surely if I’ve just completed a marathon and been wise about the training volume my body should be used to it and it shouldn’t pose too much stress on it.

But, at the same time I think back on how tired I’ve been from the marathon training this year and wonder if it’d be too much, but then I think of that it was a bit different as I didn’t run more than 7k in one go before I started my training mid November, plus I missed a month due to illness. I guess my head is telling me that it should be fine, but then I get worried about my knees and causing them permanent damage… I don’t know. Would really like to run NY and London. So typical of me to get it in my head, be stubborn and then before I know it I’ve signed up. Going to think it through and speak to my doctor when I see him on Tuesday for my 2nd X-ray.

No comments: